Skip to main content

Got Munchies??

We all do it. The urge arises. We don't want to fall prey to our bad habit, but we crave it. We grab for our favorite salt and vinegar potato chips. We get those munchies. Trying to lose weight on a munchy diet isn't successful. Believe me, I've tried.

Then there's the whole being an example for my kids. Whenever they got hungry they'd ask for snacks from the cupboard. It's just not the healthy lifestyle I envisioned for us.

 So here's the way I curbed our junk food snack habits into something that is more healthy and beneficial for the whole family.

The Fruit Bowl.

 Ta-da! I know you were expecting something more sophisticated, but hear me out. Leaving a bowl of fruits & veggies out on the table provides easy access to healthy snacks, for when we get those munchies. I find my kids often asking for the apples, bananas, oranges, avocados or tomatoes set out on the kitchen table. They never asked for those before when I didn't have them sitting out.

And I've learned to stock the cupboard with things a little more healthy like cashews and almonds. And popcorn, they love that.

 I promise you will still get the munchies some days. But we can train our brains to desire snacking on fruits and veggies when they are constantly in our face. This very simple act has changed the thinking of my entire family.

 Healthy munching habits for the win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget Life: Homeschooling

Hi there. I am starting a mini series called Budget Life that will include tips on how we live on a single income. Today's topic is homeschooling. Homeschooling can be expensive with all the fancy curriculums and extracurricular activities available today. It feels overwhelming to decide what's worth the money and what's not. Homeschooling is also a very personal endeavor and no two homeschools are exactly the same. With that said, I am going to share with you some of the ways I navigate homeschooling on a strict budget. Here is a list of FREE homeschooling resources that I personally use. Find free community events and schedule them on your calendar. Surf Facebook for local events or the famous Google search. There are free STEM fests, Healthy kid events, Movies in the park, Fishing with free-to-use poles & bait, Concerts, Educational library classes, and all the free holiday events. This is a huge money saver and you can still have great fun and do lots of li...

Portion Fix Eating

Journeys are better when shared together. As a way to keep track of physical, mental & emotional growth, I am going to give you front row seats to the latest part of my fitness journey. I am honing in on my diet & exercise this week with a strict meal plan & consistent exercise. Sunday evening, I spent a few hours in front of my computer creating a 7 day menu based on color coded containers for the Vegan Plan B. The plan is based on a completely whole foods, approximately 1500-1800 calorie, 6 meals a day lifestyle. The containers are a way to ensure portion control or prevent one from over-eating. This is the first day of following my new meal plan... Due to my busy schedule, I did not eat the meals evenly spaced, so I found myself excessively hungry mid-afternoon. However, that was my fault. As you will see below I had quite a lot of food mapped out for my Monday... B: Shakeology x1 + Teaspoon of PB x1 S: Watermelon x2 L: Baked Caul...

Shades of Stone- Oil Holders

Photo by Joni Labaron One day you'll wake up and find oils strewn about the house. They're on your night stand, in the bathroom vanity, up on the kitchen counter. You're swimming in a chaotic sea of oily goodness. But no more! Want to keep an organized collection? Check out these luxurious, essential oil holders I discovered! Made from 100% Onyx, these hold twelve 15 ml bottles. Not only great for storage, but a beautiful display piece for any room. They are classy enough for your living room and office space. Order a 'designed by nature' holder here and show off those oils! As an added bonus, you will receive a free matching oil tray. With professional quality and design, these luxurious holders have great reviews on Amazon. The holders fit all my criteria: natural, sleek design, and effectively organizes my oils. Don't wait to get yours! They have been known to go out of stock due to high demand. Need help filling up your Onyx stone holder? C...